Aug 26, 2006 7:36pm
New upload procedure - step-by-step guide
Hey all - with the new system in place I thought this might be of use to new and old uploaders alike. Feel free to chime in and add or correct stuff if I'm missing anything. The sample show I'm uploading in this instance is Blues Traveler, 11-21-90; the folder is named bt1990-11-21.flac16 on my hard drive, so I'm including my information so it's absolutely clear what should be included.
1) Go to http://www.archive.org/create.php?lma=1
2) In "Band Abbreviation", type bt
3) In "Concert date", type 1990-11-21
4) In "Rest of identifier", type flac16
(note: no period before "flac16")
5) Hit "Create item!" It'll say "checking for item identifier availability..." and then "Identifier is free. Setting up FTP upload directory for you..." Finally, it'll tell you which FTP server to connect to - use the one in step 2 (unless you're using IE, in which case you're on your own). The FTP it gives me is ia301126.us.archive.org
but yours will be different.
6) Open the FTP client of your choice and connect to the server provided. Like the page says, there should already be a folder there - mine is named bt1990-11-21.flac16
7) Upload the files into that directory (FLACs, FFP, TXT, etc.).
8) Once the upload is done, download the "CLICK_HERE_WHEN_DONE.htm" file, or go to the "checkin" URL for your show. The link should look like this: www.archive.org / checkin / bt1990-11-21.flac16
(minus the spaces - don't want to link it up)
9) It might say "Not ready yet. Waiting 10 seconds for checkin..." a few times, but eventually the page will load and say "You may now see your updated item at: http://www.archive.org/details/bt1990-11-21.flac16
". Click the link.
10) Go down to the THIRD menu ("Put my etree item into collection:"), choose your band from the drop-down list, and hit "submit etree".
11) You're now at a screen that says "Metadata editor for bt1990-11-21.flac16". Enter the setlist, date, subject, venue, coverage, source, lineage, taper, transferrer, run time, md5's, and notes.
12) In the "Files, formats, and derivations" area at the bottom, "Title" - song title; "Creator" - band; "Album" = YYYY-MM-DD - Venue, and "Track" = track number. Enter as much or as little of that info as you want, though more is better. :)
13) Choose whether you want derivatives or not, and click "Submit".
14) Wait. Within about 5 minutes, the page will be live and the FLACs will be ready for download. Within an hour or so, the derivatives will start popping up as well. By tomorrow, the whole show should be good to go, FLACs, mp3s, oggs, the works.
Congratulations, your show is now public!
(edited instructions slightly on 8/27, nothing else changed)
This post was modified by greenone on 2006-08-27 02:36:24